December 2016: The fall was a time for review and reflection by the Environmental Committee. At the Annual Meeting in November, the Environmental Committee was given the opportunity to have a display at the meeting and also give a short presentation on our accomplishments to date and our plans for 2017.
The intent to establish an environmental committee was announced at last year’s annual meeting by Commodore Ersts who appointed Virginia Tippie to serve as the chair. The Committee formally met in the early spring of 2016 and established three working groups - 1. Clean Regattas & Clean Club, 2. Environmental Education & Awareness, and 3. Alternative Energy & Energy Efficiency.
Key accomplishments over the last year included:
- Clean Regattas: Working with Sailors for the Sea, EYC sponsored six gold-level Clean Regattas, one silver level Clean Regatta with AYC and our overall Racing Season was certified at the silver level (including the beer can series).
- Environmental Education: Through outreach efforts there was increased environmental awareness among club members, sailors and youth.
- Alternative Energy: The team’s working group surveyed the industry to identify alternative energy solutions and developed a solar proposal.
The Committee also presented our 2017 work plan to the membership. In addition to continuing our clean regatta efforts, educational outreach and energy analysis; specific key efforts in the upcoming year will include:
- Clean Club Initiative (e.g. EYC’s Chili Cook-off on 1/28/17 will be “green”)
- Environmental Lecture Series (e.g. Coral Reefs through a lens by Phil Renaud 1/18/17)
- Educational Display in EYC Clubhouse
- “Green Can” Environmental Award
- Town Hall Meeting on Solar Proposal
The Environmental Committee’s annual meeting presentation concluded with a thank-you to the general membership who has worked to make EYC environmentally sustainable in so many ways. Recognizing that it is individuals that make the difference, the Green Team also presented a Special Recognition Certificate to Tristan and Sheila Keen, J/30 North American Championship Regatta Managers, for their outstanding efforts to ensure a successful clean regatta.
(Left to right: Ursula Kuehn, Tristan Keen, Sheila Keen, Commodore Heather Ersts, Virginia Tippie)