The Manager's Desk
2015 Annual Meeting
Please clear your calendar s to attend the EYC Annual Meeting when vote in the incoming Board as well as hear updates from all of the club’s committees. Of course the club will also vote on a Bylaws amendment addressing changes to the Senior membership category that has caused so much discussion during the year. We hope that all members come to listen to the proposed changes and cast their vote to help determine the way forward for EYC.
I also want to take a moment to remind our members of the strong comradery our history expresses and the spirit of community that our club boasts as we discuss the proposed changes. I suggest that we don’t give way to vitriol but rather a healthy discussion emphasizing respect for those with opposing views. It is this healthy discussion that has defined us over the years. Additionally, the mutual respect that our members have for one another can help remind us all of the foundational elements that define the “little club that could” and “can!
From the Manager's Desk
Restricted Boat Show Parking
Just a reminder to all of our members that the Yacht Haven parking lot is NOT available to EYC members on Saturday and Sunday of both the power and sailboat shows. Evening parking after 5 p.m. Monday through Friday is unchanged. Please respect our neighbors and don’t infringe upon their spaces on those weekends. The relationship with Yacht Haven is important to the club and we don’t want to inconvenience our great neighbor.
Of course, the main EYC lot will be available as usual but be reminded to have your 2015 parking sticker affixed to the front driver’s side windshield. The club will be vigilant in enforcement of the parking policies and we don’t want to see any member’s vehicle towed. Stickers are available at the bar and from the EYC office. Enjoy the show!
July 1, 2015: School is out, the best deck in Annapolis is as busy as ever and sailing season is in full swing…it must be summer in Annapolis! EYC has activities galore for our members so be sure to take a look at the calendar of events to find out what our hard working committees have in store for this season. Great cruises, competitive regattas, junior and adult sailing classes and terrific landside events pack a fun filled calendar.
Fourth of July at the Eastport Yacht Club
It seems like a no-brainer! Why wouldn't you come down and see the fireworks in all their glory from the Eastport Yacht Club? This year we will repeat our successful food and beverage format from 2014. Not only will we be serving a July 4th style casual buffet in the dining room but we will also offer a la carte grill service on the lawn.
There is no restriction on the number of guests for this event and we welcome you and your family to join us for the fun. Tickets may be purchased at the door for both guest entrance fees ($10) and for the food buffet. The hard-working House Committee is also looking for a few volunteers to help sell tickets and entrance fees at the gate for short shifts so you can still enjoy the fireworks and the fun.
New Dining Room Shades
Do you love the EYC dining room but have been bothered by the strong sun through the windows at times? Well, we have listened to our members and you should keep your eyes open, literally, for the new shades that the club will be installing in the next month or so. We hope it will enhance our terrific dining room and add to our members’ enjoyment of the space.
As the heart of the sailing season winds down, the temperature begins to cool off, and the kids are back in school there isn’t a better time to enjoy your club. The deck is never better than in late summer and early fall when the crowds aren’t nearly what they are at the beginning of the season. Enjoying a tasty cocktail accompanied by one of Chef Henry’s great specials while the evening breeze comes off the water is what club life is all about.
Call a friend and enjoy at night out at Annapolis’ most unique yacht club. We look forward to serving you!
Slips in the Marina are Available at SPECIAL REDUCED RATES for 2015
Private Event Discount through September
It may be hot outside but it is never too early to beginning planning for the holiday season!
For those who like to plan ahead we are offering a great incentive to hold your business or personal holiday party here at EYC.
All members who book a private event in September will receive a 25% discount on the facility fee for use of any available event space in November and December 2015. That equates to hundreds and even potentially thousands of dollars in savings for parties booked in September.
Bill Kocan, General Manager
Spring and Summer Reminders
May 1: As the active club season is already upon us I thought I would take a moment to remind members of some important club information that will help keep both our members and the club safe.
- Alcohol purchased at the club may not be taken off premise or onto the docks or private boats. Members may take their cocktails onto the waterfront lawn or sailing yard, however. Conversely members and their guests may consume their own alcoholic beverages (purchased elsewhere) on their boats while docked in the marina but it may not be brought onto the club's property.
- There is no such thing as a "to go" cup for alcoholic beverages. All beverages purchased at EYC must be consumed on our licensed property which includes the clubhouse, waterfront lawn and sailing areas. Sorry, you can't walk home with that Mt. Gay and Coke!
- Children are not allowed on the docks unsupervised. Never!
- Children must have appropriate coast guard certified PFDs when on the docks and accompanied by an adult. Please make note of the location of the safety rings and fire extinguishers as well next time you are in the marina.
- Pets are to remain on leashes and be supervised by their owners at all times. We love to have our four-legged friends at the club but remember that not everyone is comfortable with animals, so please respect your fellow members. Also note that the club provides waste removal bags near the waterfront lawn so please always pick up after your pet!
- Did you know that the club has a comprehensive spill kit located right next to the hoist? It contains everything you would need in the event of an oil or gas spill. Items such as emergency phone numbers, oil containment rings and rags, flashlights and gloves etc are all inside. Be ready for an emergency if it arises!
- EYC recycles, and you should too! Note that EYC now has both a recycling dumpster and a regular dumpster for waste. Please make note of the marked trash cans as you dispose of items at the club. Recycling containers are also located near the marina and parking areas in addition to the interior of the clubhouse
- Help us stay beautiful by being mindful of the club grounds. If you see litter or stray items, please pick them up and dispose of them properly. The club keeps your dues low by relying on volunteers. We do not employee a grounds or marina maintenance person at the club, so our members and other staff are relied upon to keep things looking sharp. Keep us clean and green!
Open Marina Slips
Our marina is filling fast for our 2015 season and there are only a few slips still available for boats 30 to 31feet in length. Unfortunately all of our landside slips are currently committed. If you are interest in one of the remaining slips, act fast as they will surely fill up as soon as the warm weather takes over.