EYC on the Water
To get on the cruisers' email list, and get the latest information into your inbox, click on this link.
IN THE NEWS
Upcoming Cruising Major Events (Dates and locations subject to change—stay tuned!)
- Vineyard Tour June 24-25: Our June cruise continues a theme of liquid refreshments with a short jaunt across the bay to Kent Island for a wine-tasting and special winery tour at Cascia Vineyards. We will be rafting up in Cox Creek on or about noon on June 24. We will dinghy over to the winery’s dock for a wine tasting ($10) session from noon to 4 p.m. Owner Mark Cascia will provide a vineyard tour beginning at 4 p.m.; afterward we will return to the raft up for evening fun and dinner socializing.
- Our July cruise incorporates our 4th of July festivities. Saturday, July 1, we will travel to Haven Harbour Marina in Rock Hall for a “resort style” weekend. The grounds at Haven Harbour are designed for shore-side relaxation and enjoyment. Meticulously manicured lawns and lush flower beds surround numerous recreational areas which include a large children’s playground, gazebos, koi pond, croquet, horseshoes, a beach area with fire pit, and a newly designed activities area with lawn chess, shuffleboard, bocce ball, complimentary bicycles, kayaks, paddleboards & sailing Trimarans. We will return home to EYC on July 3rd in plenty of time for fireworks.
- Baltimore Cruise with Friday movie night in Little Italy, July 28 - 30. See another side of Baltimore! Come by sea or land. Reserve your own slip!
- Cruise to St. Michaels for Watermen's Appreciation Day at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. Fee for Museum activities and marina. The event on Sunday 8/13 is a joint fundraiser for Talbots Watermen Association and Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. This is an all day event, watch the watermen compete in speed docking their boats, live music, crab feast ... There is a fee to enter the Chesapeake Maritime Museum for the event. Crabs are $25 per dozen while they last, come early.
- Much more ahead! Stay tuned for Cambridge Crab Feast, Cruise to Shaw Bay, and Pop-up Cruises throughout the Summer.
BVI Flotilla January 27 to February 3, 2018
Participate at EYC
Looking for more cruising? Got an idea for a cruise? This year, we had a number of spontaneous Pop-Up Cruises (day and weekend). So check the web page and watch your email. Sign up for emails here. And if you want to coordinate one, contact any member of the Cruise Committee, who can send a notice to the cruisers' email list (which contains over 200 names).
Flotilla Fridays are under way again. Join us for happy hour in the EYC bar on the last Friday of the month or some fun and fellowship, and to learn more about EYC activities on the water.
Participate on Cruising Committee: Meets monthly in EYC conference room 7:30 p.m., 4th Thursday of each month (Thursdays, March 23 and April 27). All EYC members are welcome!
Not sure how to display your burgee? Want more info on EYC Cruising Routines? Check out the EYC Protocol section of the Club Policy portion of your club directory. Or click here.
EYC Cruise Committee 2016 Summary Report
Submitted by Greg Kelly, Cruise Committee Chair
In 2016, the Cruise Committee coordinated ten on-the-water cruise events, three educational seminars and two pot-luck dinners. In addition, we actively supported the Leukemia Cup, two Sailing Heals excursions and the inaugural EYC Cruiser’s Cup Race. The Committee began a process to rebrand its activities as “EYC on the Water” in order to emphasize to the Club’s Membership that Committee-organized activates are for the entire Membership, not just for members of the Committee. We still have a bit of work to do to change that perception. We implemented “Flotilla Fridays” on the last Friday of every month to promote Committee activities. We implemented on-line signups (Sign-Up Genius) for Committee activities to facilitate planning and generate enthusiasm (X and Y are going so maybe I should too). Participation in Committee activities remains spotty, with pot-lucks and drive-to events the exception. The Committee continues to look for ways to increase attendance at events.
We have a number of goals for 2017, including changing the Committee structure to accommodate sub-Committees (Communication, Marketing, Family Outreach, Seminars, and Activities) and using modest admission fees to the winter seminar series to generate operating income.
As in years past, a number of individuals deserve special recognition for their long-standing efforts. Rob and Carrol Greve continue to be the heart and soul of the Committee, effectively acting as co-Chairs. Eric and Lynn Langer continue to be responsible for communication. Bob and Kathy Arias continue to provide much-needed counsel and advice to the Chair and act as Committee Secretary. Mike Grost stepped up this year to assume responsibility for web materials, including implementing Sign-up Genius.
Cruise Committee members this year include Bob and Kathy Arias, Prue and Bob Clopp, Rob Gauthier, Rob and Carroll Greve, Mike Grost, Eric and Lynn Langer, Greg and Bonnie Kelly, Tony and Kathleen Robinson, George and Mary Lou Siegle, Bill and Anne Sieling, Terry Otis and Josh Young. The Cruise Committee meets monthly and meetings are open to all. We usually have several interested EYC Members or potential Members in attendance each month.
We would like to especially thank all the volunteers who acted as cruise coordinators and anchor boats this year: Bob and Prue Clopp, Bob and Kathy Arias (multiple events), Pete Chambliss, Rob and Carroll Greve (multiple events), Mike Grost, Linda Nahin, Bill and Anne Sieling, George and Mary Lou Siegle, and Josh Young.